Our beloved Letchworth State Park can fill up quickly, so we've compiled a list of other scenic and beautiful spots for you and your family to enjoy - from removed hiking trails to picnic-friendly green space - plan your perfect adventure!
Escape into nature & hit the trails:
- Beaver Meadow Audubon Center (North Java) - Beaver Meadow is a 324-acre nature preserve in North Java, featuring 8 miles of trails. The preserve features its namesake beaver meadow with its associated ponds, glacial kettle ponds, wetlands with a boardwalk trail, wooded uplands, meadows, a hawk watch, an arboretum, and eight miles of marked and groomed trails. Beaver Meadow's Administrative Office and main parking is located at 1610 Welch Road, North Java, NY.
- Carlton Hill Multiple Use Area (Near Warsaw/Wyoming) - Located in the Town of Middlebury, Carlton Hill Multiple Use Area (MUA) is a 2,484-acre area comprised of abandoned farmland interspersed with scattered small woodlots that provide a variety of habitat types for many kinds of wildlife. Some trails in Carlton Hill are well marked, while others are more rudimentary.
- Genesee Valley Greenway Trail - The Genesee Valley Greenway is a 90-mile long trail that runs from Rochester down to Cuba, NY and runs along the Genesee River south of Portageville, NY in Wyoming County. The trail includes public, multi-use trail and natural and historic resources. The majority of the trail is an old railway bed that is a straight, level surface consisting of cinders, gravel and mowed grass. The Greenway passes through woodlands, wetlands, river and stream valleys, rolling farmlands, and steep gorges.
- Ghost Pond Preserve (North Java) - Ghost pond is a 60 acre nature preserve owned by the Buffalo Audubon Society. The trail is approximately 1 mile long and is low to moderate in difficulty. Ghost Pond Preserve is located on Welch Road in North Java, approximately 1 mile east of Beaver Meadow's Administration Building (which is located at 1610 Welch Road, North Java, NY).
- Rose Acres Preserve (Java Center) - Rose Acres is located at the intersection of Torry Hill and Java Lake Roads in Java Center, NY (near Java Lake), is a 53 acre preserve that hosts a variety of habitats including mixed upland woods, a small stream, and a 5-acre beaver pond, wildlife abounds. Enjoy this 1 mile-plus trail - a favorite spot for spring wildflower species such as Trillium, Hipatica and Clintonia.
Bring the kids and enjoy playgrounds, pavilions, picnic amenities & more at these scenic village parks:
- Arcade Village Park
- Park amenities - outdoor recreational space, jungle gyms, pavilions, grills, picnic tables, splash pad, basketball courts, street hockey rink
- Attica Memorial Park
- Park amenities - outdoor recreational space, pavilions, picnic tables, outdoor recreational equipment, pool
- Castile Village Park
- Park amenities - outdoor recreational space, jungle gyms, pavilions, picnic tables
- Java Veterans Park
- Park amenities - outdoor recreational space, pavilions, picnic tables, walking trails
- Perry Village Park
- Pine Tree Park (Cowlesville)
- Park amenities - outdoor recreational space, pavilions, picnic tables
- Warsaw Village Park
- Park amenities - outdoor recreational space, jungle gyms, pavilions, picnic tables, pool, access trail to Warsaw Waterfalls
Check out our other blog - Five Adventures You Can Enjoy This Fall - for more fun fall experiences & activities.
To learn about the very best experiences in Western New York & the Finger Lakes, visit our regional website Fresh Air Adventures!