Our beloved Letchworth State Park can fill up quickly, so we've compiled a list of other scenic and beautiful spots for you and your family to enjoy - from removed hiking trails to picnic-friendly green space - plan your perfect adventure!
Escape into nature & hit the trails:
- Beaver Meadow Audubon Center (North Java) - Beaver Meadow is a 324-acre nature preserve in North Java, featuring 8 miles of trails. The preserve features its namesake beaver meadow with its associated ponds, glacial kettle ponds, wetlands with a boardwalk trail, wooded uplands, meadows, a hawk watch, an arboretum, and eight miles of marked and groomed trails. Beaver Meadow's Administrative Office and main parking is located at 1610 Welch Road, North Java, NY.
- Carlton Hill Multiple Use Area (Near Warsaw/Wyoming) - Located in the Town of Middlebury, Carlton Hill Multiple Use Area (MUA) is a 2,484-acre area comprised of abandoned farmland interspersed with scattered small woodlots that provide a variety of habitat types for many kinds of wildlife. Trails in Carlton Hill are marked with yellow blazes, and include hardwoods, conifers, ravines, fields, ponds and several beautiful views of the surrounding valleys/hills. Overnight tent camping is permitted.
- Genesee Valley Greenway Trail - The Genesee Valley Greenway is a 90-mile long trail that runs from Rochester down to Cuba, NY and runs along the Genesee River south of Portageville, NY in Wyoming County. The trail includes public, multi-use trail and natural and historic resources. The majority of the trail is an old railway bed that is a straight, level surface consisting of cinders, gravel and mowed grass. The Greenway passes through woodlands, wetlands, river and stream valleys, rolling farmlands, and steep gorges.
- Ghost Pond Preserve (North Java) - Ghost pond is a 60 acre nature preserve owned by the Buffalo Audubon Society. The trail is approximately 1 mile long and is low to moderate in difficulty. Ghost Pond Preserve is located on Welch Road in North Java, approximately 1 mile east of Beaver Meadow's Administration Building (which is located at 1610 Welch Road, North Java, NY).
- Rose Acres Preserve (Java Center) - Rose Acres is located at the intersection of Torry Hill and Java Lake Roads in Java Center, NY (near Java Lake), is a 53 acre preserve that hosts a variety of habitats including mixed upland woods, a small stream, and a 5-acre beaver pond, wildlife abounds. Enjoy this 1 mile-plus trail - a favorite spot for spring wildflower species such as Trillium, Hipatica and Clintonia.
Bring the kids and enjoy playgrounds, pavilions, picnic amenities & more at these scenic village parks:
- Arcade Village Park
- Park amenities - outdoor recreational space, jungle gyms, pavilions, grills, picnic tables, splash pad, basketball courts, street hockey rink
- Attica Memorial Park
- Park amenities - outdoor recreational space, pavilions, picnic tables, outdoor recreational equipment, pool
- Castile Village Park
- Park amenities - outdoor recreational space, jungle gyms, pavilions, picnic tables
- Java Veterans Park
- Park amenities - outdoor recreational space, pavilions, picnic tables, walking trails
- Perry Village Park
- Park amenities - outdoor recreational space, jungle gym, splash pad, pavilions, tennis & basketball courts, picnic tables, Perry Fire Department Museum
- Pine Tree Park (Cowlesville)
- Park amenities - outdoor recreational space, pavilions, picnic tables
- Warsaw Village Park
- Park amenities - outdoor recreational space, jungle gyms, pavilions, picnic tables, pool, access trail to Warsaw Waterfalls
For regular updates on exciting happenings in our community, follow us on Facebook & Instagram - don't forget to tag us using #WyCoApproved.
Check out our other blog - Five Adventures You Can Enjoy This Fall - for more fun fall experiences & activities.
To learn about the very best experiences in Western New York & the Finger Lakes, visit our regional website Fresh Air Adventures!